CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 21, 2011

"O" Week and Healthy Habits

I was worried my class would have a let down after our big Valentine's party on Monday. After all we were just talking about "Healthy" (yawn) and the letter "O", so I decided to step things up a bit and have a little "extra" fun. I think I pulled it off!.

We started Tuesday off by introducing the letter "O". We walked around all day with hands in the air making a giant "O" AND we made the "O" sound all day (did I mention we did this ALL DAY!) Our craft for the day was a giant orange oval octopus! I cut out the large orange oval head and then the students cut out the legs.
Every student just beamed with pride as they glued on their legs! This was one of those days when you wish you had an audio recording of them to play back to their parents.
On Wednesday we touched on our discussion of "Health". Not a very exciting topic so I decided to make it a little more fun. We talked about our mouths and germs. After a very lengthy discussion, everyone FINALLY agreed that it was time to stop putting things in our mouths (we will see?). We made our own mouths -

I borrowed the idea from http://www.themotherhuddle.com/marshmallow-teeth/ and made a few changes. Everyone loved them!
On Thursday we decided to talk about our letter "O" again. The octopus was really fun and I knew he would be hard to beat. I am so sorry that I don't remember where I saw this, but it is so cute and everyone talked about it the entire day. First I let everyone rub chalk all over a black piece of construction paper. Then I let each student pour black paint onto their paper. Then they let it drip all the way down. We added our palm print for the moon and then glued a little owl cut out onto our tree. This project gave each child an amazing sense of "WOW, look what I did!" You just can't beat it!
By the time Friday rolled around we were ready to talk about healthy eating habits. Each child was asked to bring in a their favorite fruit. We washed it, cut in into small pieces and made the most delicious "Friendship Fruit Salad". It was a wonderful snack that promoted health and friendship! Since we were talking about things that were good for you to eat we made our wonderful healthy boy/girl. We had lots and lots of fun talking about the fruits and vegetables while we glued them to our papers.



I will admit that we had more fun then I expected this week. Everyone really seemed to enjoy the letter "O". I guess if it is fun, they will learn!
Next week will be one of my most favorite weeks - the letter "P" and "Our Country". I have so many wonderful surprises planned for my class, I hope you will stop back by.

39 comments:

  1. Hi Karen - just popping over from Let the Children Play - it is always a treat for me to find a new preschool blog! I love reading about how others approach early childhood education all around the world. Yay internet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering about your healthy kid - where did that come from? Did you just make it up? THANKS!
    Bree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did Unas! I found the fruit on a free clipart site and used it!

      Delete
    2. I have no idea but I have the masters saved to my computer. I'll be happy to send you the files (they are in a word document) if you would like them.

      Delete
    3. That would be great! My email is tiggerr64@yahoo.com Thank you so much!

      Delete
    4. Sorry, I'm out of town and away from my files. I will email them to you as soon as I get home today.

      Delete
  3. I would love to make those healthy fruit/veggie boys and girls. Would you be willing to send me the master file that you have on your computer. Thank you!
    hayleybahr@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haley, it has been sent! You may need to check your "spam folder".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would LOVE to have the pattern to the healthy fruit/veggies boys and girls too. They are very cute.
    Thank you
    Denise
    denisekaffenberger@att.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I am sending them in multiple emails. Please check your spam folder if you do not receive them.

      Delete
    2. Mrs Karen could I please have a copy of your fruit person

      Delete
    3. Sorry my email is tscott@salisburypreschool.org

      Delete
  6. I would love to have the fruit/veggie "people" too! Would you send the masters to azittergruen@central.k12.ia.us ? THANK YOU!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I would love to have the pattern to the healthy fruit/veggie boy/girl too! It's such a great idea.
    Thank you
    Pamela
    pdavis@joliet86.org

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I was wondering if I could get copies of your fruits and veggies. Thanks in advance! Amy akmurphy_308@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen! I love your healthy food people. I'm doing healthy choices next week and wondered if you could please send me the clipart so I can use these with my preschoolers? I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!!

    Sarah

    Eilbecks@uni.edu

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I was also wondering if you could please send me the template for the fruit kid. Such a great idea!

    Andi
    andit@cityoflapalma.org

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Karen!

    Could I please have a copy of the fruit/veggie template.
    I think my class would love to do this for our fruit/veggie theme week. Thank you!
    Linda
    misslinda.ckis@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could you email me the fruit/veggie template! Thank you!
    rachel_bettis@usd368.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am teaching on this next week in health. Would you be able to email me the fruit/veggie template? My email is rjchez@bellsouth.net
    Thank you so much! Jody

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to have a copy of this as well! Could you please e-mail it to me at amyrbeasley@yahoo.com? Thanks so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you send me the fruit template? I love it
    Krisandangela@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can you please send me your fruit template for our nutrition week? iteachdangelo@gmail.com
    Blessings,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I also have the fruit template please? It's fantastic!
    edwyer@ialf.edu

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really love the idea of the fruit. can i please have the fruit template as well. najoemonisav@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your fruit person
    Is it still possible to get the template?
    Thanks!jjam107070@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is it still possible to receive your food person clip art? I absolutely love it!
    hngallarza@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Karen

    I am teaching this unit starting next week and would love to do this craft with my little guys. Could you send me the master file? I would really appreciate it.

    brittany.lucas3711@gmail.com

    Thanks, Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello! I love the fruit person and I was wondering if I could possible receive the clip art. Thanks for sharing this clever idea.
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  23. My spouse and I absolutely love scr888 your blog and find a lot of your post's to be just what I'm looking for. can you offer guest writers to write content in your case? I wouldn't mind producing a post or elaborating on a lot of the subjects you write in relation to here. Again, awesome web log!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can you send me a copy of the fruit and vegetable kid clipart you use. Love the idea and want to do the craft with my preschoolers thanks. melissat0328@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. May I have a copy of the fruit and vegetable kid clipart? Thank you! amerola44@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Could I get a copy of your fruit clip art please? They look great!
    ploshea2@bigpond.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can I get a copy of the fruit clip art? My class would love this.
    Boydt@wws.k12.in.us

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could I please have a copy of your Fruit clip art? They look wonderful
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi there, how do we get a copy of the fruit craft graphics please. I suggest you save the template on the page so we don't all have to ask you. It is fab! My email is brilliantbilinguals@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi there! May I have a copy of the pictures for the fruit craft?!
    jasmine.rodriguez2612@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete