CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Getting Crazy with the Letter "C"

Our "C" week was so much fun!  We are all still getting to know each other, but all in all my tiny little class is doing great.  Since one of my favorite authors is Eric Carle, I knew we had to do some special to honor him.  And what better way than to read, The Very Hungry Caterpillar!  It is now officially a class favorite!  Of course a great book has to have a great art project to go with it and this one was so CUTE!  I had seen the caterpillar made with balloons and knew we had to give it a try.  I think we did a great job, don't you?
The children even drew on their own legs!  I'm so sorry I don't have pictures of the actual process, but this got a little wild and crazy!  The body is made by using 2 different colors of paint.  First, we used a balloon dipped in yellow paint, then put a balloon with green paint right on top.  Meet the Deubiens is a GREAT web site for instruction on how to make the caterpillar with balloons.

I'll go ahead and admit that I am a big 'ole softy when it comes to fingerprint and handprint art.  (Now what he is all grow-up, I wish I had more of it from my son!).  Our next little piece of artwork was so simple, but so cute - CORN!
We start out with our handprints - 

Then we glued them on our colored sheet (blue was our color of the week!)!  Easy-peasy!!!  NOTE:  You can also do this a little closer to Thanksgiving and make it into Indian corn by letting the children put different colored fingerprints on top of the yellow corn.

Our "Fabulous Fun Friday" was spent baking a color cake and since we knew there be NO leftovers, we made our very own birthday cakes to take home.


It is difficult to see the actual cake, but it is made from 3 different size squares (our shape of the week).  The children mix up shaving cream, glue and food coloring to make our special icing.  (There is no exact measurements for the shaving cream and glue.  I try to use equal parts of both.) 


Then we spread on the "icing"!


We added our candles and lit them with our fingerprints!

These are still puffy when they dry!  It is literally a science experiment AND an art project all mixed together!

We also had a wonderful time making our color tables, so all in all we had a great week!

Thanks for coming to visit us, I hope you pop back by again!

3 comments:

  1. This is so much fun! I'll be doing this with my homeschool preschoolers. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My group made these "frosted cakes' today! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find your post amusing to read. Also, I would like to share with you a new article about spacebar test an online tool that helps you how many times you can press the spacebar button in a given time interval. Find out more in the article.

    ReplyDelete